Monday, September 2, 2013

Matcha Chiffon Cake


I finally found Matcha Green Tea Powder at Berkeley Bowl! Matcha Green Tea is one of my favorite flavors. I love it in almost all recipes and I'm so glad that I could finally get a hold of it. However, it is very much on the pricey side..around 30 dollars for a pound, yikes
The first time I made a matcha Chiffon Cakes didn't end well. I didn't tare the scale correctly so I ended up with very strong matcha flavor in my cake. It certainly screamed out with it's flavor and probably the reason why I couldn't sleep at night with the excess amount of caffeine. The second attempt went fairly well. It had the right amount of matcha flavor and wasn't too sweet. The powder is has a strong matcha taste to it so adding more sugar would give it a nice balance. As always I cut backed on the sugar, leaving the taste to be more on the matcha side. 

Recipe slightly adapted from: Christine
  • 80 gm cake flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 5 egg yolks
  • 30 gm caster sugar
  • 1/8th tsp salt
  • 35 gm vegetable oil
  • 1 1/4  tsp green tea powder (Matcha powder), or to taste
  • 90g ml hot water (or hot milk)
Egg whites:
  • 6 egg whites
  • 50 gm caster sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment